Sorry was in a bit of a rush yesterday. I am quite far from being an expert
on the topic, but have thoughts on Internet advertising.

... internet advertising.
I have heard of rates as low as $0.50 to $2.00 cpm.

but other people talk about the $100 cpm they get. (yeah right)

my ad model (not really implemented) is to separate inventory into three
pieces
(1) Sponsorships
(2) Premium Ad spots
(3) General Rotation spots

I decide an amount I think is easy to sell  - say $25 per month, decide what
a fair CPM rate is for the inventory. $6.25 cpm for example ==> approx 4000
impressions. I divide my monthly inventory by the 4000 impressions to get a
number of monthly ad spots to sell. I have one site which does more than
200k page view per month. - by my formula I have room for 50 advertisers @
$25 per month. $1250 per month.

Once I get the advertisers going they have acccess to the premium inventory
and sponsorship spots available throughout the site. On the premium spots
(behind logins where you know a little about the person viewing the site,
content specific pages, or high visibility pages) I would try to get $25cpm
for those spots or even auction off to the existing advertisers.

sponsorships I use on a cost+/project basis - and I might use the revenue to
pay for domain registrations, hosting considerations, content gathering etc.

just some ideas. hth.
eric