I do the same thing (except no images) in our welcome letter as many
people, especially developers do not want html email..

  <!--- cfset default email params --->
<CFSET MIMEBOUNDARY = "----MIME-BOUNDARY----">
<cfset crlf = chr(13)&chr(10)>
<CFSET contenttype = "multipart/alternative;
boundary="""&MIMEBOUNDARY&"""">
<CFSET myHeaders = "X-Mailer: MIME-Version: 1.0">
<CFSET myPlainMsgTop = "--#MIMEboundary##crlf#Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=us-ascii#crlf#Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit#crlf##crlf#">

<CFSET myHTMLMsgTop = "--#MIMEboundary##crlf#Content-Type: text/html;
charset=us-ascii#crlf#Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit#crlf##crlf#">

<cfmail to="#email#" from="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" subject="Welcome to
CFXHosting!" type="HTML">
<cfmailparam name="Content-type" value="#contenttype#">
<cfmailparam name="MIME-Version" value="1.0">

<!--- plain text version --->
#myPlainMsgTop#

Plain text content here

<!--- html version --->
#myHTMLMsgTop#

 html content here
</cfmail>

This allows users who have html email enabled to receive the html
version and if they don't they get the plain text
~~
Stephenie Hamilton
Macromedia Certified ColdFusion Professional
CFXHosting