From: Richard Crawford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 10:35 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: The Ongoing Saga of the Dead Session Variable

To recap:

When users to our site (running CFMX (with Updater 3 applied) on top of
JRun 4 (sp 1a applied) on top of Apache 2.44 with a SQL Server 2000 backend
-- ew) happen to clear their cache and cookies while logged into our site,
they can never log in again.  I must point out that this is a newly
discovered behavior, and our site has been working fine for
years.  Originally I thought that this error was limited to clients running
IE, but I now know that clients running Netscape or any of its derivatives
(Mozilla, Firebird) will have the same problem.  I haven't tried Opera
yet.  The error is client specific, meaning that only certain users are
getting the error; for other users, everything works out just fine.  And
again, this is new behavior.  These users were getting to our site just
fine.

I've received some pretty good suggestions from the other members of this
list, so thanks to all!  Unfortunately, not much has changed, except that
I've got our custom error page spitting out more info.  The specific error
that I've got now is this:
    * Parameter 1 of function IsDefined, which is now
"session.spanish1202d2ad76445536e6d-AFD6A182-F39D-EBCE-9A2A2E3A0ED188C5",
must be a syntactically valid variable name
In the actual page (which is Application.cfm), this is what the code looks
like:

cfif isDefined("session.spanish1#cfid##cftoken#")

I don't know what could have happened to all of a sudden make this variable
name syntactically invalid.  I should point out that we have this same code
in dozens of other places, working just fine.

The only thing that has changed since when this worked properly for
everyone was that our database was modified; the data from our production
server was copied down to this server.  But as far as I can tell, nothing
else in the database has changed.

We've tried clearing out the cache and cookies for the affected computers,
restart their browser, restarting their computer.  We have tried restarting
JRun.  We have tried clearing out the Java classes for the pages that JRun
builds while running.  We've even tried rebooting the server.  None of
these has helped.

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard Crawford
Systems Administrator
UC Davis Distance Learning Group