Matt Robertson wrote:
> Jochem wrote:
>
>>NOT NULL constraints
>
> You mean a simple NOT NULL in a field spec?  mySQL supports that, and
> should have back to 3.23 when I started using it.  I'd hope if something
> like that was missing I'd have noticed :D

<quote>
If you insert a 'wrong' value in a column like a NULL in a NOT
NULL column or a too big numerical value in a numerical column,
MySQL will instead of giving an error instead set the column to
the 'best possible value'. For numerical values this is 0, the
smallest possible values or the largest possible value.
</quote> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/constraint_NOT_NULL.html

(For timestamp columns apparently the 'best possible value' is
'0000-00-00 00:00:00', which is an illegal date and will make CF
break.)

>>decimal datatype
>
> Its there, too.  I found CREATE TABLE scripts dated back to June 2001
> that used it without trouble.

Jim Campbell has already shown the result of what happens when
you start using it.

In both cases MySQL supports the syntax, but not the feature.

I believe the DECIMAL issue is even worse as has been shown
because decimal values within the right range will silently be
converted to float/double for calculations. (I haven't tested
this with any of the latest releases, but if it works like that
it would make MySQL inappropriate for financial accounting, and
perhaps even illegal if the accounting rules are strict.)

Jochem

http://www.coolfusion.com