From: B G [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 5:40 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Querying a text file

I am building an application where users can upload a comma delimited text
file to a unique user directory then retrieve the data from it for later
use.  The structure of the file will be pre-defined and the users must
follow that format.  Field names are included in the first row.

I had intentionally decided not to import that data from the text file into
a table because of the file size.  Reading the contents of a file with
CFFILE puts the entire contents into a variable which takes up memory.  100
users all working with 10 meg files at the same time could cause a problem.

But I am finding that no host will offer to support a text ODBC connection.
I even had one tell me it couldn't be done.  Also, a few have stated that
querying a text file is too flaky to be considered reliable.

Has anyone had any experience similar to this?  Am I worrying about using
too much RAM unnecessarily?  Perhaps a more efficient way to get the
contents of the text file other than CFFILE?

Thanks!

BG

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm