From: Griffin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 1:11 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: WOT: Securing word docs, excel, etc in a web app

Hi,
This is off topic, but I am sure many of you have had to deal with issues
such as these in the past.

I have been living in a bubble for the past 3 years and have developped many
web apps in CF, ASP and JSP on secure networks with no Internet connection.
For the first time, I am building an Internet based web app in CF. Creating
the members only portion with user authentication and so on is no problem.

However, the site's main focus is to share research data among members. Most
members want to upload MS Word docs, MS Excel docs and PDFs. The site will
be hosted at an ISP, so using IIS or NT security is not an option.

So here is my dilema, once I have uploaded documents that I only want
members to access, how can I achieve something better than "security through
obscurity" and prevent people from stumbling on the docs by guessing or as
the result of a search engine search? Same question for images. There will
be images in .jpg and .gif format which are destined for members eyes only.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Grif