On Saturday, Aug 30, 2003, at 07:43 US/Pacific, Sparrow-Hood, Walter
wrote:
> Anybody care to comment or have any information the new developer
> related
> functionality in Flash Professional vs. what's been promised/hinted re:
> Royale.  Has Rolyale morphed into FlashPro?

Royale and Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Professional are very different
products.

Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Professional adds a lot of developer-related
features above and beyond the 'standard' edition (Macromedia Flash MX
2004, which itself contains many enhancements over today's Macromedia
Flash MX). There's plenty of information on the macromedia.com website
about Flash MX 2004 and Flash MX 2004 Professional:
        http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/

Royale is still in development and you can sign up for notification of
more information here:
        http://www.macromedia.com/go/preview (if memory serves!)

Both Macromedia Flash MX 2004 and Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Professional
are visual authoring environments. Royale on the other hand is server
technology that lets programmers create SWF files using XML.

> My real concern/question is do I spend the money and time to learn
> FlashPro if something with even more capability for RIA is coming along
> before the end of the year?

I see Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Professional, Royale and ColdFusion MX
all being complimentary tools / technologies that will work well
together.

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood