One method we use is to create our pages as include files themselves.  We
then build the main display page with simple code to set Page specific
information (like Title, template, etc.).

We have a template file for the application that includes the specified
files at the required point.

So I might have a template like this:

<cfparam name="PageTitle" default="">
<cfparam name="IncludeFile" default="no_includefile.cfm">

and my main calling page would look like this:

<cfset PageTitle="Test Page">
<cfset IncludeFile="main.cfm">
<cfinclude template="mytemplate.cfm">

The main.cfm file would do anything required by that specific page.

We've moved to this because it allows us to change our templates across the
entire application with a change to a single file.  It also for more modular
code, which leads to code reuse (in terms of the template at least).

This method also allows you to add javascript references or style references
on a per page basis, or on a system wide basis.

Hope this helps with your setup.

Shawn