If there is a password involved, you could generate the password (rather
than ask them to input) and email it to them.  That's what we do here.

HTH

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Kear [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 17:58
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Validating people who register .. how does this work?

I'm building a site where I'm asking people to register (free) as members.
Since there's no credit card or money transaction, I still want to ensure
the member is using a valid email address, so I want to do what the likes of
Yahoo and others do - send an email to the user asking her to activate her
account.

But what's going on in the background in these systems?   Here's what I
think happens, but can anyone tell me if this is what is really happening,
or if there's a better way to verify their email address?

[1] the user fills out the registration form on line
[2] on "submit", the data is entered in the user data table, with a bit
field, say "activated" set to NO. [3] The user is sent an email asking to
click on a link which takes them to a validation page. [4] The user is
allocated an id number, perhaps the UserID, the primary key of the User
table which is added to the link on the email. [5] when the user clicks on
the link, the action page retrieves the user from the data table based on
the UserID (which was a field in the table) [6] The action page sets the
"activated" field to YES [7] all restricted access pages have the test <cfif
(user.activated)> to permit access.

Is that what's happening there?
Is there a simpler way to do it?

Cheers,