For things like datasource names, wouldn't it just be easier to define
it in application.cfm as a local variable? Why add the overhead of
locking   / checking if it is defined then setting it, etc... at all?

<cfset DSN = 'mydata'>

instead of

<cflock ...>
   <cfif not(isdefined(application.dsn))>
        <cfset application.dsn = 'mydata'>
   </cfif>
</cflock>

I am getting away from all application and session variables on my new
sites.  They became more trouble than they are worth.

Al Musella
a1webs.com