If it helps any, I've just started implementing Zope on my personal server,
but code in CF professionally.  My experience thus far is that Zope does
have a lot of potential to make life easy.  I've installed Plone on top of
Zope, then within an hour, I had a basic web site up and running, with
editing capabilities, online management of the site, and some other nifty
tools thrown in like search capabilities, and and news listings.  From what
I've read, you can take a section of your site (like news listings) and
create an RSS feed for them with a (relatively) few keystrokes/mouse clicks.

To create something from scratch like this in CF would have taken at least a
week or two by an experienced CF programmer (this is my own opinion).  So,
the 3 or 4 days I've spent figuring out the installation routines for Zope
and Plone, and getting a basic feel for the tools have been well spent.
Currently I'm trying to figure out how to setup the CMFVisualEditor tool for
Zope to provide WYSIWYG editing of pages.  Once I have this done, then I'll
be diving deeper into customizing my templates.  If all goes well, I'll be
able to publish my sight by Monday.  If I were doing this in CF, my target
publish date would be a month or two down the road....  Oh, and btw, I
haven't yet had to do any python scripting.  (I face the same deal as you
with regards to python - I don't know it....)

Don't get me wrong, I love CF and have done and seen other's do some very
amazing stuff with it.  But for my personal server, I've choosen the open
source route, and CF doesn't play well with Gentoo Linux.

My recommendation would be to at least become partially familiar with Zope,
then make a judgment for your specific needs.

HTH

Shawn