We've had this problem when the generated Excel files is too big (not
exactly sure what too-big is, but ours were about 2mb).  IE tries to send it
to Excel prematurely.

In our case we had a lot of whitespace we removed that fixed the problem.

HTH,

Sam

Blog:  http://www.rewindlife.com
Chart: http://www.blinex.com/products/charting