Good point Rafael.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rafael Bleiweiss [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 4:36 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: FTP; non-techies using

Very good question - some long term experience here:

I have half a dozen clients who maintain ecommerce sites with hundreds
or
thousands of products - each one having at least a Thumbnail and a
larger
view image...  Two of them wanted FTP and a new client also wants this
(he's also going to be uploading MP3 sound track samples - music store
site)...

Here's the challenge - what naming convention, file size restrictions
and
image dimension parameters do you have set up?  I provide the specific
info
in writing to them.

I also as was previously suggested, limit them to a special subdirectory

that the front end site points to.  In that sub, there's a directory for

Thumbnails, one for Larger View images, etc...

Because they're not using cffile, I cant guarantee the image name will
match on  a field in the database, so I've informed them that if they
post
an image and it's not showing up, it's on their dime if I need to Figure
it
Out or Fix it.

HERE's one - Client owns a Luggage site.  Gets his images on CD from
each
of his manufacturers.   SOME are JPG already, some are GIF, and some are

TIFF.
OH YEAH - Some of those JPG files - they're not RGB / Web enabled Jpgs,
they're CMYK JPGs so some browsers dont display them at all , some do,
and
some display only half the layering.

Guess who had to figure that out, and then TRAIN the client on
conversion?  I did, for a FEE.  Yep.

Oh yeah - File sizes - if you say they cant make them bigger than
200x160,
and they violate that, the front end looks like Crapola...   SO I then
needed to teach that client how to do Batch Resizing of files in
Photoshop.  Again, for a fee.

AND to be extra sure it was as visitor friendly as possible, I run a
CFDirectory on their upload directory on the fly to be sure the photo is

there before I call it... for which I got a fee.

So, they can pay you now, or if you cover your ass with instructions AND

written agreement that "somthing doesnt work on Their process,and if you

fix it you get a fee" then you're pretty much covered.

OH YEAH - Better run Antivirus on that directory...  and Limit the file
type uploads as well...