Seems to be a little confusion of terms.

Sandy is definitely correct that CFMX does not support dynamic data sources
in the most common use of the term as people use "dynamic data source" to
refer to the ability to connect to a database without creating a coldfusion
datasource to it.  The ability to dynamically create a datasource on the fly
does not mean you have "dynamic datasource" capability in cfmx.

However, in most cases when using CF5 style dynamic datasource code we're
connecting to a Jet based datasource and in those cases it's trivial to use
a proxy database and send the connection string to Jet in the from clause.

<cfquery name="q" datasource="proxy">
select *
from "connection string to database".table
</cfquery>

In this case we need a datasource called "proxy" pointing to a Access
database but we never actually hit the database, Jet redirects the query.

HTH,

Sam

Blog:  http://www.rewindlife.com
Chart: http://www.blinex.com/products/charting