UTF-8 encoding can handle accents characters too.
Anyway, You can change encoding value by just using replace function.

like this.
repleace(tostring(generatedxmldoc), 'encoding="UTF-8"',
'encoding="ISO-8859-1"')

And, how will you use generated xml document? If you want to write it to
file, you should specify encoding option as 'iso-8859-1'. or if you want to
show as http response, you should use <cfcontent type="text/xml;
charset=ISO-8859-1">.

Thanks,
--
Hiroshi