On Mar 31, 2004, at 7:42 AM, Whittingham, P wrote:

> The main problem I have with flex and flash mx 2004 is the size of swf
> file. The download times suffer even on an intranet.

What kind of file sizes are you seeing?  We have seen that typical Flex
applications are around 100K to 150K.  Typically, they achieve the
majority of their size very early on, then tend to plateau since assets
are shared very efficiently across components.  150K for an RIA might
seem hefty at first, but actually, it isn't.  I pulled up an arbitrary
eBay page the other day that was 87K *without* images.  The Amazon home
page is about 63K, again without images.  Once all the images and other
external assets have been fully loaded, both these pages are far larger
than typical Flex applications, and you have to load that amount of
data with every page refresh as opposed to just loading data with Flex.
  I actually believe that Flex applications are much more bandwidth
efficient than comparable HTML applications.

> I tried your flex sample and they are slow. MM needs to address
> performance.

I agree with you there.  The online examples are not performing like
they should, and not how I am seeing them perform locally.  We're
actually looking into this to see what's wrong.  Thanks for the
heads-up.

> Also, MM needs more components like maps/graphs and reports.

Agreed.  From the Flex FAQ:

Q: Does Flex include charting components?
A: Charting components for Flex are currently in beta. To be notified
about  participating in the Flex charting components beta program,
please  sign up for the Flex News  e-mail list.

I'm sure other frequently requested components will follow.

Christian