> Is there some kind of software
> (preferrably cheap or free) that can actually handle the
> "mailing" part in the background without slowing down CF?

We've written a mailing-list-manager type app here which allows the user
to send combined plain text/HTML emails to an opt-in mailing list.  All
creation of mails etc is handled by ColdFusion but the actual sending is
done using a perl script run as a cron job.

Doing it this way takes lots of load off the server and speeds up the
process (the user doesn't have to wait for 10s of thousands of mails to
be sent - can you imagine the requesttimeout setting on that?!), and
even means we can generate the mail from one server (the CF/web server)
and send it from another (a dedicated "mailing" server).

Tim.

<CF_CodingContest mode="judging" newentries="false">
Maze Solver - http://tech.badpen.com/cfcontest/
RAWNET LTD - Internet, New Media and ebusiness Gurus.
WE'VE MOVED - for our new address, please visit our
website at http://www.rawnet.com/ or call us any time
on 0800 294 24 24.
This message may contain information which is legally
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of this information is strictly prohibited. Such
notification notwithstanding, any comments, opinions,
information or conclusions expressed in this message
are those of the originator, not of rawnet limited,
unless otherwise explicitly and independently indicated
by an authorised representative of rawnet limited.