From: Michael Dinowitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 4:08 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: ad weights

Here's a fun task. I'm building pay per click ads for HoF (in place of
banner
ads and yes, the list ads are coming off). One thing is that I need to give
each
ad a weight in relation to another to show how often it should come up. I've
thought of a few ideas and wanted to hear what others think.
Basically, there's a table of ads that's dumped into an application array
for
caching. The question is, how to dump the ads in order to give 'high paying'
more show than 'low paying' (or free) ads.
This is one idea:
When this table is dumped into an application array, a position in the array
is
given for each ad for each dollar (or part) it has.
    .01 is 1 position.
    $1 is 1 position.
    $1.01 is 2 positions.
This is rather simple and works well for small amounts of ads, but when you
get
a lot, it fails.
ex: 99 ads at .01 and 1 ad at $5 will equal an array of 104 items. The big
paying ad has a greater chance of being seen in relation to any other ad,
but is
buried under all the low paying ads.
Another idea is to have sub arrays for each price grouping. In this example,
the
chances of a $5 text ad coming up is far greater than a $1 ad and if a $5
comes
up, then it'll be one of several $5 ads. This may work and I'm building it
now.
Critique?
--
Michael Dinowitz