What exactly are you modifying in the uploaded docs?  If it's just a small
piece of text then I would suggest using fields linked to document
properties and then you can read/update those properties via DSOFile.  This
is much faster and more stable than automating Word and doesn't require any
Office products installed on the server (does require DSOFile, which is free
download from MS).

Info and examples here:

Integrating ColdFusion with Microsoft Office: Breezo and examples
http://www.rewindlife.com/archives/000118.cfm

Best regards,

Sam

Blog http://www.rewindlife.com