Deanna Schneider wrote:

> What database are you using? This sounds like something that would be best
> handled at the database level, instead of running it through CF.

Deanna,

I'm using SQL Server 7.  The problem is that the field with the
characters to be replaced is a TEXT field, and you can't use the REPLACE
function on a TEXT field.  And, unfortunately, the data is too big in
some of the records to CAST to VARCHAR.

Here is the SQL that I've tried using:

select
msgID,
msgSent,
msgFromType,
msgFromID,
msgSubject,
REPLACE (CAST(msgMessage AS varchar(8000)), CHAR(13), '<BR>') AS
newMessage,
msgOriginal,
attID
into tblMessageNew
from tblMessage

In records where the value of msgMessage is greater than 8000
characters, the SQL bombs and no results are returned.

--
Richard S. Crawford
Programmer III,