You should be able to find the info you are looking for here:
<http://www.iisanswers.com/> http://www.iisanswers.com/

What version of IIS are you running; IIS 6 (Windows 2003 server) uses a XML
file to hold the IIS meta base C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\metabase.xml.  I
have not yet tried to see if you can make live changes to this OR not. My
first guess is you would have to reset IIS to see any changes.

I did some research a while back to see if I could deal with the log folders
issue W3SVC, I seem to remember that there way a way of removing the folder
names, but as I recall it created more problems for me than it solved. We
settled for making a folder with the client's name then putting the W3SVCxxx
log folder in inside the client folder.

Check out the Adsutil.vbs it is a utility that uses Microsoft Visual Basic
Scripting Edition to manipulate the IIS configuration
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/iis/6/all/proddocs/en-us/pr
og_use_adsutil.mspx

Mark W. Breneman
-Cold Fusion Developer