> for stress testing a Java-based web app on a remote Linux
> server and/or on local Windows dev boxes? And why? Or is
> there a better free tool (eg MS WAS)?
I don't have much experience with JMeter, but I do use and like OpenSTA
quite a bit. Of course, it only runs on Windows clients, but that hasn't
been a problem for me yet. You can use it (or any other load test tool for
that matter) to load test web applications no matter what they're written
in.
> What I'd like to achieve is an integrated approach where we
> can generate HTTP requests on the client(s), and record the
> statuses and timings of the responses, but also somehow
> record/analyse what's happening inside the server (Apache,
> MySQL, JVM, JRun etc) at the same time. Or would it be more
> sensible to use different tools for these two jobs - finding
> problems vs investigating them?
Unfortunately, I haven't found anything like this at all. Load test tools
don't tell you what's going on at the server, they just tell you how long it
takes for the server to respond (response time), and how much data the
server sends back (throughput). In the case of a performance analysis test,
you then examine the slow pages and see if you can improve their
performance.
You can, however, manually correlate your load tests with server monitoring.
Unfortunately, though, it's very difficult to figure out exactly what's
going on at any given instant, in my experience. Perhaps some of the
commercial tools now offer a server component for this, but those tools are
generally very expensive (although I think they're almost worth it!)
> I'm looking to standardize on something for ongoing use as
> part of a development process, so I guess another important
> thing is the features for recording/storing/sharing
> reasonably complex scenario information.
>
> We're also considering moving to Eclipse/Ant/JUnit - any
> synergies there would be great, which seems to point towards
> JMeter...but OpenSTA appears a more finished application?
I wouldn't look for too much of a connection between load test tools and
development tools.
Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
phone: 202-797-5496
fax: 202-797-5444
[Todays Threads] [This Message] [Subscription] [Fast Unsubscribe] [User Settings] [Donations and Support]

