Bud,
     If you went through all of this trouble already, why not just get rid
of all session / client / application variables all together. I don't
really see the need for them.  You can create your own database, and your
own clientID and password, and pass them along to each form  This way you
don't have to worry about compatibility of the lock statements (Which it
seems to me still has a little work to go - which means with the next
version we will have to go back and change thousands of templates again)
with each new version of cf.
     I have to support people who have cookies turned off - so for all of
my new sites, I just pass variables around from page to page and it works
out much easier.  I create a userID and password. When the user logs in, I
assign a unique UUID and store it in the database. I pass the UserID and
UUID from page to page, and in the application.cfm I querry the database to
make sure the uuid matches the userid, to prevent someone from just
guessing another userid.

Al Musella
World Wide Websites
a1webs.com