Andrew,
The Fusebox conference is in a couple of weeks in Maryland. That
would be the best place to get info about Fusebox.
http://www.cfconf.org/fusebox2004/
There may be other frameworks out there with some clever concepts,
but everyone that I know that has ever given Fusebox a decent shot, has
always loved it. Usually the detractors I see on these lists are the ones
that either didn't bother to learn it or couldn't grasp it. I was lucky in
that after my first web project in 1999 I think, I decided to look around
for some methodology/standard to work with. Fusebox was just starting out
and seemed interesting did everything I needed. I was able to adopt FB
before I came up with too many clever ways of doing things myself that FB
would replace. I think that's why some folks have such a hard time working
in a framework, which is understandable from a human nature standpoint. But
from a business standpoint it bothers me when a developer isn't flexible
enough to work in Fusebox. Having a framework/methodology is an important
business decision, and if a developer isn't willing to play by the rules, I
want no part of them.
Come to the conference and check it out. $200 is well worth it. And
the classes on Thursday and Friday are a great opportunity to get up to
speed quickly.
Oh and the Code Rutters FB4 book is very good. You can get started
just from that, but if I were in your position I'd jump in the Intro to FB
class on Thursday and attend the conference. I'd love to see a "case-study"
of the project if you do decide to do it with Fusebox. You might think about
documenting some of it for next year's conference!

Greg