Not sure if Dave was referring to stopping/starting the service, but I
can also recommend starting/stopping your JRun/CFMX instance using
(again from the command line):

$ jrun -start cfusion

So far I have never had any problems using this as opposed to using a
windows service. Furthermore you can specify additional config files
etc, and more importantly you can see what is going on as the server
starts up and shuts down.

My 2 pennies.

Cheers