Problem seems to be solved.

After reading through the docs i can accross
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/6.1/htmldocs/using_35.htm

Handling null values

That did the trick.

Just to note, that withoug using the fix "AND NOT NULL" that is
mentioned in the docs, if i changed the LIKE "%val%" to = "val" it ran
without problem.

Is this a bug? There were no null values anywhere.

Thanks again for your help
Ricardo.