From: Matt Robertson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 12:50 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Mail Server Software

>what was the cause of this mass exodus from iMail to SmarterMail?

Imail was killed by Ipswitch as a product, suddenly and without warning.
Its dead and gone.

(although after a user revolt they said on the Imail forum that availability
"might be offered on an individual basis" with pricing to be determined.)

You can have Imail as part of Ipswitch's ICS bundle, which is a mere
US$9995 for unlimited seats, with a similarly hefty annual service contract
that is *in addition* to the price.  Don't get me started on ICS, which is
just three unintegrated products bundled, rebranded...
and repriced.

> SmarterMail sounds like a fairly immature product and I would think
> there are more attractive servers available for large installations.

You would think that but a very large body of former Imail users who tested
the bejesus out of it and any other mail server we could get our hands on
would largely disagree.  Once Imail died much of their very active list went
into test-everyone mode.  To Ipswitch's credit they let the traffic through.
Smartermail seemed to be the number one choice.  Merak was second and a few
rebels went to Postfix and swore off Windows.

SM is a new product and it indeed is missing some features that an
enterprise would want.  ODBC integration of the user database comes to mind
immediately.  I would consider that fatal for a large enterprise, although
SM's xml config files are easy to work with directly, and you can use web
services to build on whatever you please  For the ISP market its really
quite a nice fit.  The comments about it beating IMail for stability when
stressed I've heard before and can anecdotally echo.

Its lack of viable spam and a/v support is nothing to me as I use a gateway
in front of the mail server anyway.  But for everyone else both Declude and
MXGaurd are being developed for it right now, with release fairly imminent,
and SpamAssassin, ASSP, ClamAV and TrendMicro work with it immediately.

If I were doing single, large enterprise work I would use Merak.  I had a
client that I was recommending it to.  They needed SOX compliance, but SM
can do the SOX-mail-copy thing very easily so for ... what was it... $99? we
took a chance on it to see what happened.
The client figured what the heck.  They're still happy.

--
--Matt Robertson--
President, Janitor