In addition, a default install of SQL Server, for instance, will
pre-allocate just about all system resources to the SQL Server instance or
balance them out among multiple instances. This provides performance
benefits over a model in which resources have to be allocated on the fly.
>From my experience, it actually takes quite a bit of work to convince SQL
Server that it's not the only application on the server. In particular,
watching SQL Server duke it out with the Sun JVM over memory is not a pretty
sight.

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051