> Many session-based sites run well without any cflocks but they're
> smaller sites.. It doesn't seem to me to be a policy of knowing what
> your doing or not, its more about the fact that you don't ever want
> data mixed up, ever.

Which can happen as the result of deadlocks.

> To me its worth a few more lines of code to always protect my user's
> data.

I don't believe Jim or I are arguing against locking or that locking causes
code to become too verbose. We simply disagree over whether or not people
who do not understand locking should lock every block of code that is stored
in a shared scope.

> I can see where locking or not locking application variables
> could be harmless but I stand firm on sessions needing to be locked.

It depends more on the data and its use then the actual ColdFusion scope
involved. Some applications store data pertaining to user sessions in the
server scope. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this, but I'm sure others
have their reasons.

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051