Thanks Phil.

I'd seen the devx article. One thing I noticed in it was these statements
about admin requirements:

"Larger relational DBMS, such as MySQL and Postgres are available today in
open-source form. [snip] they require substantially greater levels of
administrative oversight"

"As to full commercial databases such as Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, and
Informix, of course, they require significantly more administration"

I've worked quite a bit with SQL Server, and while it's clearly more
expensive, especially web licensing, and not small footprint, our admin load
has been roughly zero, other than backup. Data file about 800M and growing,
but not intense throughput, and it's been doing just fine.

Is it other folks' impression that recent versions of SQL Server do
generally need a lot of dba? How about MySQL? The article is clearly
implying that Cloudscape doesn't; is that your impression? That's an
important point for both developers and their clients.

Dave Merrill