RDS can use whatever port you define for the web site that serves it and in
the properties of each defined RDS server on the clients. That port does
need to be open in both directions between client and server. Can the
clients bring up a telnet connection to the server on that port? (That'd be
80 if you haven't changed it, maybe 8500 if you're using the built-in MX
server w its defaults.)

Dave Merrill