Thanks Jim, comments below.

Dave Merrill

> > - What's an accurate, up to date source of info on html, css, and js
> > capabilities and quirks for a lot of different browsers and versions?
>
> The JavaScript and DHTML guides at MSDN.microsoft.com are pretty good and
> inform you of which features are in which specs (but not how to
> code for the other browsers).

I agree, they're very good, they've been my usual first stop for this kind
of info. However, they're completely IE-specific, which is part of how I
come to ask these questions.

> For example you might install Windows 2000 to a virtual PC.  You
> then make a
> copy of that and install IE 5.5 then another copy and install IE 6.0.  Now
> you can run all of them as windows on your host machine for testing.

Good idea. Kinda funny that the only way to have multiple versions of IE
installed is to have multiple versions of the entire OS. If this is my dev
laptop, I'd also need all my other dev tools and settings. Pain in the .

> > - Do you have mac, linux and pc browser test machines?
>
> Personally, no.  I use Virtual PC for PC and Linux and trust to the graces
> of friends for Macs (since I can't see spending the money and
> dedicating the space for one personally).

That new $500 mac changes this a bit though, maybe.