Thanks Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 3:20 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: OT:XML Schema vs written spec

DTDs will only vaidate the structure of the xml not the values, but
schemas will do both the structure and the data types of the elements.

The other benefit for Schema's are they are written in XML so you can
transform them into printable documentation so you kill 2 birds with
one scud missile.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:06:00 -0800, Barney Boisvert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Schemas are for validation.  You can check their XML when it comes in
> against the schema, and instantly know if it's valid.  It also gives
> your clients the ability to test their XML on their end during
> development to ensure that it's valid, without having to be sending
> test transactions to your server.  Finally, it gives you both an
> explicitly enforcable contract for defining the interaction, something
> that a simple spec can't do alone, because it can't be enforced except
> via human interpretation.  That lets you both know that any bugs that
> arise can be immediately pinned on one party or another, without any
> bickering about "oh, well your spec says this", and "yes, but we meant
> it this way."
>
> Write the schema for the machines, write the spec for the people.  Two
> types of users, two types of documentation.
>
> cheers,
> barneyb
>
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:55:49 -0500, John Stanley
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > All,
> >         I'm creating a new xml interface that will allow our clients to
> > connect to our system and update our records. I was researching the ways
of
> > documenting the xml structure, for the clients to use.
> >         It seems like I have at least three ways to do this. DTD's,
Schemas