Tony,

The application where this is used needs to be keep generic and needs to be
able to accept many different types of data.

This "application" is one part of an in-house system "smartVar UDF", I wrote
to really simplify the creation of the many "CRUD" (CreateReadUpdateDelete)
pages I make. (I think you an I have traded mails about this in the past)

So what my UDF does is it looks for the value of the input, first in a form
var, then in a query var.  If neither the form OR query contain a value for
the input box then it is just blank.  Also, since the form submits to its
self then it will pull the value from the form and not the query after you
submit the page.

Does that help explain it it? I *think* the new CFMX7 CFinputs have some of
this functionality.

MB

Thanks!

Mark W. Breneman