If your CF server is located on a different server than your SQL server,
uncheck "Maintain Connections" in CF admin/datasource setup/advanced
settings"

In my experience, you get this error when you try to 'maintain
connections' to a remote db.  Your cf app makes a query, then you go to
look at something else, 10 minutes later you hit the db again with a new
query and it returns this error.

HTH,
-Jeff.