Neil H. Wrote:
>> I want to own the DB so I don't have to rely on another site.

You get the data to install on your own computer. You do not depend on
another site for searches, data exchange or lookup. You can even use this on
a computer not connected to the Internet. (Gee are there such things like
that these days? <g>)

I had the same feelings when I first subscribed to jcs. I wanted to pay a
one time fee and be done rather than license a yearly fee. The licensing fee
is $200 per year. But then I realized, that is because the federal
government licenses the data and does not permit the data to be owned. If
you quit paying the license fee, you aren't permitted to keep using the data
you have.

Your first reaction is that must be some communist plot. Well it isn't. The
feds want to make sure that the data is up to date. If it is just sold with
no mechanism to keep people current, then the data becomes in some ways
dangerous. Can you imagine someone building a 911 dispatch system or a
crisis management, or disease tracking system using old data. By having
stale data it costs the post office more money in dealing mis-addressed
mail. It impacts thousands of industries that depend on this mapping data
every day. So keeping the data current is very important.

And don't give me the argument that the government should provide this data
for free. Nothing the government does is free. We pay for every minute
worked by government employees. In this case, this is good that people that
want zip code data pay for it. While those that don't want it, like the
military retiree in New Mexico, doesn't have her tax money paying to produce
a zip code database.

Then I found out there our hundreds and some times thousands of changes to
the zip code database every month. It is amazing how much this data changes.
Think about it. Every time a new industrial park is built, a new high rise,
a new neighborhood is built, it often times gets a new zip code. You would
be a fool to design a system that didn't use a database that was regularly
updated. I know of folks in new communities that have had three different
zip codes in 5 years because of rapid growth in their area. How can you
design an order entry system that doesn't have current data?

JCSM only charges $200 per year for month updates. That is cheap for what it
does. Pay it, factor it in as part of your cost of doing business, just like
the cost of having dial-up access to the internet or your monthly cell phone
service and move on.

 - Steve

Steve Pierce, HDL
"Co-Location starting $99 per month, no setup fee"
(734) 482-9682 | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://HDL.com

I want to own the DB so I don't have to rely on another site.

Thanks,

Neil