It was commas, not semicolons, that were the issue; sorry for the bogus
info.

I looked through my notes for the project where I thought I remembered
running into it, and found this:

------------------------
- The double entries at the top level are caused by the comma in
#pat_name#.
  Don't know why this version of cftree does that, but removing the comma
fixes the problem. There's a delimiter parameter to the cftree, but a)
it's not comma by default, and b) making it something odd that's not
in pat_names does nothing.

If I'm right placing this chronologically, it was discovered when we moved
to MX61. Don't know if ti's still an issue in MX7.

Dave Merrill