Butch,

We have developed an inhouse product which does such but it is sold on an asp
basis (and I am working on an opensource variant for the future), so I can give
you globally the idea how we did this and look.

Each site is an application based on a cm system. They all use the same
codebase, whereas each object is available as a shared object. If there is a
bug in the object, a single file change would accommodate all clients. So if
you have 20 sites they all are fixed at once. For the sites who require custom
objects they can be overridden.

By per site configuration you can specify the database to use, and you are able
to share content stores, workflow, etc. whatever you need.

Maybe you should take a look at FarCry (or if you have the money, CommonSpot),
I bet they deliver similair functionality without the need for you to reinvent
the wheel.

cms
  -- nonwww
     -- www.domain1.com