We updated the virus protection and ran the MS patches.  We've never had
problems out of the virus protection before, but have from MS (which is
why they're my first suspect).

Yes, we are also using MS-SQL 2k on another box which was also patched.
 It does not seem to be having issues, however, and there are no
timeouts or other unusual errors logged in the CF log files.  It is
currently consistenly running at a normal, low CPU usage (around 10-15%).

--Ben