From: Kay Smoljak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 6:32 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Stat app recommendation

On 8/24/05, Russ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How does it compare with urchin?  Besides being free of course?

Webalizer vs Urchin... one is free, one is US $895+. You get what you
pay for - I wouldn't give up Urchin for the anything (until something
better comes up anyway).

My main complaint with Webalizer is that it doesn't tell you what
search terms were referred from which search engine. If you're doing
any kind of SEO work at all that's really important. I also found that
Webalizer was not logging querystring pages correctly, and would only
report entry and exit pages if they were .html. Other than that, it's
static and therefore not flexible - you can only look at data on a per
month basis, whereas any of the more advanced apps which are dynamic
allow you to select a date range or otherwise modify the parameters of
the current report. And you can export to multiple formats. And
there's speccy SVG graphs. And custom log filtering and user-defined
reports and custom look up tables. And, and, and :)

Really, a high-end stats package such as Urchin, WebTrends or
Livestats is pretty much essential for any serious web-based business.
I'm a stats nerd :)

--
Kay Smoljak
http://kay.smoljak.com/