Hi Robert

Thanks for the mail.  

I have created the WDDX for  the session.app and it is storing the
variables data.

<cfwddx action="cfml2wddx" input="#SESSION.app#" output="wddxtext">

But how would I  repopulate the session.app with the wddx packet below
when the user logs back in to complete the form?

<cfwddx action="wddx2cfml" input="#wddxtext#" output="data">

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Munn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: 07 September 2005 17:50
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Session Variables and returning to finish web forms

Unless you plan to do something with the partially completed
application, there is no reason to store it in a normalized way. You
could just WDDX session.app and save the resulting packet into a
database table; then, when the user comes back you just de-serialize the
packet and repopulate session.app. Your table might look something like
this:

appStore{
   userid int NOT NULL (FK),
   appData text,
   dateUpdated datetime
}



>Ok I will use a CFLOCK and CFTransaction for the data processing.
>
>At present all the data entered in the form is stored as session 
>variables, which enables the form to be split up over several screens 
>which works well.
>
>i.e.
> <cfinput name="jobdesc" size="50" required="Yes" message="Please 
>provide the job description" value="#SESSION.app.jobdesc#"
>
>
>The final option below I am trying to implement into the form and am 
>just looking for ideas on how this can best be achieved using 
>Coldfusion.
>
>If the users have logged in as a member, they have the ability to save 
>a partially completed online application and complete it later (by 
>clicking the 'Finish Later' button at the bottom of the form)
>
>How would this be best achieved ?
>
>Would you save the form field session variables entered on the form 
>into a database table with a relationship to the members table ?
>
>If so when the user returns to the form to complete it what would be 
>the best way of ensuring that the data returned from the database table

>to populate the form fields works in conjunction with the 
>value="#SESSION.app.jobdesc#" that is set on the form fields by default

>that enables the form to be split over several screens ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Ian
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Michael Traher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Sent: 05 September 2005 15:56
>To: CF-Talk
>Subject: Re: Session Variables in CFMX 7
>
>Hi Ian, Here are a few ideas regarding this.
> Best deal with session variables within a CFLOCK statement (see docs 
>for details of possible race conditions) and therefore a useful way to 
>go about this is to copy any session structures to the request scope on

>each request.
> I have a similar 'wizard' style process and I create a structure 
>(inside
>cflock) session.wizard
> For each wizard step I create session.wizard.stepN (where N is step 
>number).
> I then duplicate this structure to the request scope so that I can 
>forget about locking from now on.
> In each form page I CFPARAM request.wizard.stepN.formfieldN for all my

>form fields for this step with any default values.
> When the form is submitted I cfloop thru the form structure and copy 
>the form values to the request.wizard.stepN.formfieldN values. Finally 
>I duplicate the request scope to the session scope inside a CFLOCK so 
>the values are remembered to the next request.
> In terms of keeping this data in some way, you might consider using 
>CFWDDX which can convert complex CFML variables (like your wizard
>structure) and convert them to a XML string. You could then write this 
>string to a file or database. CFWDDX can then be used to convert it 
>back again. There are many ways to store this data but this in my mind 
>would be the neatest.
> HTH
>Mike
>   
>
> On 9/5/05, Ian Vaughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: 
>> 
>> Hi
>> 
>> I am starting constructing a form using session variables for 
>> multiple



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Logware (www.logware.us): a new and convenient web-based time tracking 
application. Start tracking and documenting hours spent on a project or with a 
client with Logware today. Try it for free with a 15 day trial account.
http://www.houseoffusion.com/banners/view.cfm?bannerid=67

Message: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=i:4:217607
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/threads.cfm/4
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=s:4
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4
Donations & Support: http://www.houseoffusion.com/tiny.cfm/54

Reply via email to