> but why, i wonder do they do that?
> i mean, you'd think that google has a guru of the regex
> kind there in-house that could handle it so that those
> are really TWO different addresses.

You can also stick arbitrary stuff on the end of your email address too:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12096&topic=1564

So you could send a mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and it would show
up in the inbox of [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This can be useful for filtering etc -- you can apply a label to mails
that come in from that address, or direct them straight to trash.  Or
use the address as a "throwaway" when signing up to sites that you think
might sell your email address -- if you start getting spam then just
apply a filter to send those mails straight to the spam/trash folders.

You have to wonder if this and the "." issue were actually implemented
on purpose, or if it was a mistake that someone decided would be a good
idea to make into a "feature" :)

Tim.

Badpen Tech - CF and web-tech: http://tech.badpen.com/
    RAWNET LTD - independent digital media agency
    "We are big, we are funny and we are clever!"
     New site launched at http://www.rawnet.com/
This message may contain information which is legally
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of this information is strictly prohibited. Such
notification notwithstanding, any comments, opinions,
information or conclusions expressed in this message
are those of the originator, not of rawnet limited,
unless otherwise explicitly and independently indicated
by an authorised representative of rawnet limited.