I have a question related to this. When you get into a situation where
you have numerous joins in one query, are you better off breaking the
mess into several database Views and simplifying the query? Could you
realize speed gains?

Lee Surma
 

-----Original Message-----
From: Phill B [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 1:26 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Can I change query results?

The query is a massive query involving an inner and a few outer joins
with several conditionals around the joins. Because of new
requirements, I have to add four more tables to this beast of a query
so that I could let the DB do the math. If you have ever dealt with a
query that involves inner and outer joins, you would understand the
nightmare that is involved with guaranteeing the query always returns
the data you want.

So I need to do math on a column based on that specific columns needs.
Since adding more joined tables to the mix cause massive problems, I
want to do it after the fact. The only other choice is to rewrite the
query as a stored proc but my skills are limited in that area.

Phil

On 3/24/06, Ken Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm more interested in why you "can't" do the calcs in your original
> query. Why don't you post the query and tell us what the calcs you'd
> like to do look like. I'll bet we can figure a way to get it done in
the
> query.
>
> --Ferg



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Message: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=i:4:236159
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/threads.cfm/4
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=s:4
Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=11502.10531.4
Donations & Support: http://www.houseoffusion.com/tiny.cfm/54

Reply via email to