From: Ken Ferguson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:01 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: maximum number of files in directory

A customer of mine had a Windows 2K server on a cheesy little box. It
had about 15,000 images in one folder and was still serving them up
without much if any problem. However, I made the mistake of trying to
open the folder in Explorer one day and the machine laughed maniacally
then went unconscious. After the reboot, I used the command line to move
some things about and reorganize, changed the code in the application
and it's continued to work very well to this day with that load spread
over about 20 directories arranged by product line and category. A
couple of the categories still have folders with 600-700 images in them,
but nothing more than that.

--Ferg