In this issue of ColdFusion conference and training news:

* Announcing NEW CFUNITED Special Events! MiniMAX4 and Attendee Dinner
* Win a FREE extravagant lunch with your favorite speaker!
* Fusetalk Forum on CFUNITED! Talk to other Attendees.
* CFLive - Jeff Peters Thursday 12:30pm EST via breeze
* Coming Soon - NEW scheduler program
* Interview with Steve Rittler on Farcry 3.0

CFUNITED is the premier ColdFusion Conference near
Washington DC 6/28-7/1/06 (Four whole days!)
Check out speakers and topics at http://www.cfunited.com/

- Michael Smith
TeraTech, Inc

"People should come to CFUNITED-06 because it is a great value,
especially when you consider all
the experts you can connect with and all that you can learn."
-       Bernard Traphan (attendee)

Have 3 years of CF and love helping other developers?
http://www.teratech.com/index.cfm?go=About.JobDetail&JobID=7

Conference and training news
****************************

* Upcoming TeraTech classes
Cost $59 - $349 see http://www.teratech.com/training/ for more details
and registration

CF101 - Welcome to ColdFusion   May 2 2006
CF102 - Intro to ColdFusion     May 9 2006
CF201 - Intermediate ColdFusion May 16 2006
FB101 - Intro to Fusebox        May 23 2006
FB201 - Intermediate Fusebox    Jun 6 2006

* Pre-conference classes
Cost $449 see http://www.cfunited.com/classes06.cfm for more details and
registration
Location: Bethesda North Marriott and Conference Center

CU210 Leader of the Pack (strategies for building better software) -
Simon Horwith - Monday 6/26
CU211 Fundamentals of Relational Database - Kurtis D. Leatham - Monday 6/26
CU212 ColdFusion Server Administration: JRun J2EE Deployment - Adam
Wayne Lehman - Monday 6/26
CU213 Testing ColdFusion - John Paul Ashenfelter - Monday 6/26

CU214 Ajax intensive for ColdFusion Developers - Rob Gonda - Tuesday 6/27
CU215 XML, XPath, and XSLT for ColdFusion Developers - Jeff Peters -
Tuesday 6/27
CU216 Domain Modeling - Hal Helms - Tuesday 6/27
CU217 Beyond Basic SQL for CF - Nate Nelson - Tuesday 6/27

CFUNITED NEWS!

* CFUNITED SPECIAL EVENTS
MiniMAX 4 http://www.minimaxconference.com/
Can't go to CFUNITED? Come to this FREE event!
Hosted by Adam Bell
Location: Brookside Room, Bethesda North Marriott Conference Center,
Lower Level
Starting Time: 8:00pm

Attendee Get Together http://www.cfunited.com/attendee_dinner.cfm
See old CFUNITED buddies before the big show! Make new friends!
Hosted by CFDynamics
Location: Dave and Busters, Approximately 3 blocks from Bethesda North
Marriott
Time: 5:30pm-7:30pm

* Win a free extravagant lunch with your favorite speaker! Anyone who
has registered before May 1st
is eligible to win a lunch with his/her speaker of choice. Pick their
brains while you enjoy a
delicious meal and dessert. HURRY and REGISTER NOW!

* 20% of our Pre-Conference Classes are full. Be sure to reserve your
seat today!
http://www.cfunited.com/classes06.cfm

* The First 750 registrations will get our cool new laptop book bag,
courtesy of our platinum and
gold sponsors! Don't settle for the tote, register today! See photo at
http://www.cfunited.com/bag.cfm

* Fusetalk Forum now on CFUNITED! Start talking to other register
conference attendees today.
If you are registered as an attendee, login into
http://www.cfunited.com/login.cfm
Discuss topics, arrange ride sharing or meeting at the event. Thanks
Fusetalk for letting
CFUNITED use your cool message board! See http://www.fusetalk.com/ for
more info.
-- Our Common Interest page is coming soon too!

* 490 people are already registered for CFUNITED-06 and the main hotel
is full!
   (That is more people than the same time last year).

* We have overflow hotels:

Bethesda Marriott (approx. 1.5 miles from conference center)
$170 per night
5151 Pooks Hill Road Bethesda MD 20814
To make reservations call: 1.800.228.9290
Use the group code: CFU
The only dates that are provided under the group rate are June 27th -
July 1st, 2006
A shuttle bus will be available back and forth from the conference
center to this location.

Doubletree Hotel & Executive Meeting Center Rockville (approx. 2 miles
from conference center)
$249 per night
1750 Rockville Pike, Rockville MD 20852
To make reservations call: 1-301-468-1100 or go to
http://www.doubletree.com/
Use the group code: TER
The only dates that are provided under the group rate are June 27th -
July 1st, 2006
The metro line is located across the street. Take the metro line from
Twinbrook to White Flint for
the conference center.

*CFLive
Hear CFUNITED speakers from your office via breeze talks every Thursday
12:30pm - 1pm EST. Learn
new tips and ask questions live.

CFLive! Jeff Peters XML and ColdFusion
Thursday, Apr 13, 12:30 PM US/Eastern
http://coldfusion.meetup.com/17/events/4894584/

Future talks
4/20/06 Simeon Bateman CFEclipse
4/27/06 Rob Gonda CLASS Ajax intensive for ColdFusion Developers
5/4/06 Steve Ritler Farcry
5/11/06 Maxim Porges Secrets of Top Notch Teams
5/18/06 John Paul Ashenfelter Agile Programming
6/1/06 Nate Nelson Advanced SQL Programming

* We have a new Schedule program COMING SOON created by Joe Danziger:
"I've been working on a new
AJAX-Based Scheduler for the CFUNITED team. You can add a session to
your schedule by either
clicking on the time it is given or by dragging-and-dropping onto the
correct day."
Check back soon to CFUNITED's website and see when we announce this new
feature.

* Only 3 months until CFUNITED (75 days).

* Can't afford to come for 4 days? Or can't take time off work during the
   week? Come to our Saturday only CFUNITED event.

* Full time students and umemployed programmers substantial discounts
available - email liz (at)
teratech.com for your discount code.

And now our CFUNITED spotlight interview.

Michael Smith: This time we are talking with Steve Rittler about his
CFUNITED-06
talk "Farcry 3.0". So why should a developer come to your session Steve ?

Steve Rittler: Since last year's talk about Farcry, the entire CMS has
been revamped with a completely new look aimed at making the
administrative end of the system much more user friendly.  This
presentation is geared towards those who might have considered Farcry or
are completely new to it.  And, like last year, I'll do a live install
of Farcry and show just how easy it is to work with!

MS: So what is Farcry?

SR: Oh, sorry!  Farcry is a free, open source, ColdFusion-powered
content management system in use by a large number of universities and
businesses.  Farcry began as a commercial product offered by Daemon but
was open sourced under the belief that the community would contribute to
the advancement of the platform. So far it's been a success, as even a
quick look at the community resources on the farcry-dev mailing list
will show.

MS: Why Farcry instead of a commercial product?

SR: No slight against commercial CMS vendors, but it's nice to be able
to muck about with a system that works so you can make it work -for
you-.  All CMS platforms are extensible in some fashion, but it's much
easier to do that when all of the source code is out there for you to
play with.  Even for those commercial platforms that provide it, you're
now customizing a package that you're already paying quite a few bucks
for.  It just makes sense to start with a cleanly architected,
well-designed and widely deployed system that cost you very little time
and money to get started with.  And just in case you get in trouble,
there's always the option of commercial support from Daemon.

MS: So how long does it take to learn Farcry?

SR: Learning the content management portion of Farcry is nearly
instantaneous.  I trained a client
who was fairly inept with the computer how to maintain his site in
Farcry - it only took a half
hour for him to have it down pat.  Learning the integration and
extension of Farcry will take a
little bit longer, but i've found it not much more complex than
integrating with any other piece of
software "not invented here."

MS: Did the CFUNITED site conversion to Farcry take you long?

SR: Not especially.  We generated a preliminary site based on the
content from last year, updated
the site design with the 2006 layout template and then spent the
majority of our time building
clean links out to the other systems for registration, speaker
management and online community.
All told, i'd say we put about 40 hours of work into it.

MS: Cool! I must say that I like how anyone on the CFUNITED team can
edit content now! What about
version control and approvals?

SR: Version control has bailed out a good number of our Farcry clients!
  Having that capability
built in to the CMS is quite handy for those exceptional circumstances
when something isn't quite
right.  As for approvals, yes, that's built in as well, but most folks
have found it to be more of
a hindrance than a help so we usually end up turning it off.

MS: Can you add new objects to Farcry?

SR: Yep!  Extensions to Farcry fall into in three basic categories:
include objects (think of this
as a glorified CFINCLUDE), Farcry-managed objects (native to the CMS)
and custom objects.  The
first two of these slide right in to your Farcry site without much
effort.  The third requires a
little bit of work on your part to integrate the Farcry controls and
standards with your own native
objects.  Which path you choose is very situation-dependent and would
take too long to explain
here.  Come to the presentation to learn how to choose!

You can see more interviews at http://www.cfunited.com/interviews.cfm
CFUNITED-06 is Wed 6/28/06 - Sat 7/1/06 in Bethesda MD, just outside
Washington DC.
It costs $649 until 1/31/06 then $749. For more information on CFUNITED see
http://www.cfunited.com/

---
Farcry 3.0
*************************
Farcry has been completely renovated and updated with version 3.0 to be
much more users friendly and approachable. The presentation will focus
on the implementation of the CFUNITED site and specifically on
application integration (bridging Farcry and the existing
speaker/topic/track management system). There will also be an overview
of how the system works and how to get started (kind of like last
year’s
presentation but with better live examples).

Speaker Bio:
Stephen Rittler is the owner of Countermarch Systems LLC, a consulting
firm specializes in business process automation and content management
solutions using Macromedia technologies. His company has developed
effective solutions for clients in education, government, publishing and
manufacturing. He is a Certified Advanced ColdFusion MX developer and
has contributed to the CF community through his writing, leadership of
the Philadelphia ColdFusion User Group and presentations on a variety of
topics. Steve is a musician at heart but has yet to figure out how to
play his saxophone and code at the same time. You can read his blog at
http://www.countermarch.com/blog.

* Speakers include top names like Simon Horwith, Charlie Arehart,
  Hal Helms, Michael Dinowitz, Ray Camden, Ben Forta and many more respected
  CF authors and presenters.

* Great tracks:
   * Bootcamp - Basic ColdFusion and Flash topics
   * Advanced - Advanced ColdFusion topics
   * Manager/Empowered - Fusebox and Project management topics
   * Flex/RIA - Flash, Flex and other technologies integrated with CF topics
   * Accessibility / usability - section 508, CSS and disabled access
   * Deployment/Platform - tuning, install issues, OS, picking a database

* Included in your full conference registration is the following:

     * Attendence for 4 days (6/28/2006-7/1/2006)
     * Keynote and General Sessions
     * All conference sessions including repeat sessions on Saturday
     * Entrance to Expo Area
     * Networking Events
     * Badge and Badge holder with bar scan code
     * Free Lunch for each show day (Dinner is not included)
     * Access to all presentations after the event, including all the
recordings.
     * Promotional bag with materials including show guide, CD, coupons,
etc.
     * Opportunity to participate in all raffle drawings

* Can't stay 4 days Wed - Sat? Optional 3-day and Saturday only packages
   available too. Saturday will consist of repeats the most popular
sessions
   from the week - something many attendees asked for last year!

Price expires            4-day   3-day   Saturday-only
Early Bird   01/31/2006  $649    $549    $249
Timely Bird  03/31/2006  $749    $649    $299
Regular      06/16/2006  $849    $749    $349
Late         06/28/2006  $949    $849    $399
Door         06/29/2006  $1049   $949    $449

Save up to $300 by registering now!

Register today at
    http://www.cfunited.com/

  ]

--
Michael Smith, TeraTech Inc - Tools for Programmers(tm)
TeraTech voted Best Consulting Service by CFDJ readers!