Hello all.  I have a very Enterprise-level question here. (Whatever that
means! :)

My agency has a solid investment in IBM iSeries equipment, and we have
several large applications written in Java running on OS/400. ColdFusion
is not supported on OS/400, but I have seen one article on the Web
claiming that it will run on WebSphere on OS/400. I cannot get support
from Adobe on this issue. Has anyone ever gotten this to work?

Let's assume that we can't get CF running on OS/400. Does anyone here
have any experience getting CF to use Java resources on a remote server?
For performance reasons, I'm not sure yet if we're interested in taking
the SOA approach and making the CF server consume tons of SOAP-based web
services. Am I right in my assumption that there would be a significant
performance hit in doing that?

If CF can tap into Java objects directly and that results in better
performance, can we do that without CF needing to sit on the same server
as the Java bytecode?

Our other option is running PHP in some kind of AIX converter on OS/400,
but I'd love to continue using ColdFusion!

Any solutions/suggestions involving the mangled mess of possibilities
listed above would DEFINITELY be appreciated. I'm not very familiar with
these low-level technology issues because I've relied on scripting
languages in common configurations up to this point. Our Java
programmers here scratch their heads at these questions.

Chris Peters
Web Development Team Lead
Franklin County Data Center
(614) 462-5065