In this issue of ColdFusion conference and training news:
* Don't be late! sign up today! Prices expire this Friday 6/16/06
* Extended number of laptop bookbags for attendees!
* Registration packages are arriving.
* New Sponsor
* CF News Release: FUSIONDOX-ECM 2.5
* NEW EVENT: Bridging the Gap between Marketing and IT professionals
* CFLive - Thursday 12:30pm - Doug Ward Fundamentals of Good Usability
* Interview with Jeremy Lund - Another Look at Microsoft Office Using
Apache Jakarta POI

SEE ALL RECENT CFUNITED NEWS AND PAST. Get CFUNITED news fast as soon as
it is posted! Subscribe to
our blog today! RSS feed or email.
http://www.cfunited.com/blog/

CFUNITED is the premier ColdFusion Conference near
Washington DC 6/28-7/1/06 (Four whole days!)
Check out speakers and topics at http://www.cfunited.com/

- Michael Smith
TeraTech, Inc

"Application development involves rapidly evolving technologies. Anyone
in the industry who does
not actively pursue expanding their knowledge will quickly become
obsolete. CFUNITED looks to
provide the best value for my education dollar."
-Clay Mabbitt, Conference Alumni

Conference and training news
****************************

* Upcoming TeraTech classes
Cost $349 see http://www.teratech.com/training/ for more details and
registration
FB101 - Intro to Fusebox        Sep 12 2006
FB201 - Intermediate Fusebox    Sep 19 2006
CF102 - Intro to ColdFusion     Sep 26 2006
CF201 - Intermediate ColdFusion Oct 10 2006
CS201H - CSS hands on           TBA

* Pre-conference classes
Cost $449 see http://www.cfunited.com/classes06.cfm for more details and
registration
Location: Bethesda North Marriott and Conference Center

CFUNITED NEWS!
* Prices for registration expire 6/16/06, currently 4 day package $849
and 3 day package $749
After that, the late price is $949 for the 4 day package and $849 for
the 3 day package
See list of all prices http://www.cfunited.com/discounts.cfm
Can't come? purchase the VIDEO package for this event.

* 100 more laptop bookbags for registered attendees!
We've hit the 750 mark! However our Platinum and Gold Sponsors have made
it possible to provide
more laptop bookbags for registered attendees!
Thanks Adobe, Hostmysite, TeraTech, Microsoft, and New Atlanta. Register
today and you'll be sure
to receive this awesome giveaway.

* Registration packages will be arriving to attendees soon. Enclosed
will be a receipt, name badge,
t-shirt, and conference instructions. We've mailed about half the
packages last week until now.
Keep your package in a safe place and bring the name badge with you to
the event. It will help you
check- in faster. If you do not get your package in the mail, you can
still check-in at the
conference and we can issue you a new badge.

* New Bronze Sponsor: Zion Software
Since 2001, Zion Software, has provided Instant Messaging and Presence
(IM) solutions and IM
software infrastructure to innovative companies worldwide. ColdFusion
MX7 introduced Event Gateways
and Zion introduced JBuddy-CF at CFUNITED '05 as the first commercial IM
event gateway plugins for
ColdFusion MX7. Come by of booth at CFUNITED '06 and see what's new!

* IEXP Software, Downingtown, PA
The new FUSIONDOX-ECM 2.5 Document, Data, and Record Management Platform
is designed to provide
ColdFusion programmers with a complete, open standards based
document/data/record management
solution for building and deploying a broad array of business
applications.  FUSIONDOX has been
built from the ground up to specifically address a growing market demand
for an integrated document
and data management platform that simplifies the creation and management
of business process
applications without high cost and complexity of traditional ECM
software suites (Enterprise
Content Management).  FUSIONDOX is stable, works with your existing
applications, and because it is
100% browser based, the easy-to-use web interface encourages high user
adoption rates with low
administrative impact.

FUSIONDOX comes with a full suite of ready-to-use (but highly
customizable) tools and allows CF
developers to easily extend the system, including using custom CFML
components and connecting to
other enterprise applications to further leverage their value.  ItÂ’s web
service enabled API speeds
development time and allows in-depth customization of the navigational
and GUI components, document
templates, workflow processes, publishing routines, report templates,
and portal display components

* Have you ever noticed that the marketing department and IT department
seem to speak different
languages? Would you like to receive the tools that can help your
business roll out a successful
software project from start to finish?
Bridging the Gap between Marketing and IT professionals, June 29th
http://www.cfunited.com/bridging_gap.cfm

* 63% of our Pre-Conference Classes are full. Be sure to reserve your
seat today!
http://www.cfunited.com/classes06.cfm

* 772 people are already registered for CFUNITED-06! The first 850
registrations get the free
laptop bookbag!

*CFLive
Hear CFUNITED speakers from your office via breeze talks every Thursday
12:30pm - 1pm EST. Learn
new tips and ask questions live. See past talks
http://www.cfunited.com/breeze_talks.cfm or
download via Podcast http://www.cfunited.com/blog/cflivepodcast.xml

CFLive! Doug Ward Fundamentals of Good Usability
Thursday, June 16, 12:30 PM US/Eastern
http://coldfusion.meetup.com/17/events/4919541/

* Only 12 days left until CFUNITED!!!!

* Can't afford to come for 4 days? Or can't take time off work during the
   week? Come to our Saturday only CFUNITED event. Or watch via web
video after the event.

* We still have opportunites for sponsorship available to companies.

And now our CFUNITED spotlight interview.
Michael Smith: This time we are talking with Jeremy Lund about his
CFUNITED-06 talk "Another Look at Microsoft Office Using Apache Jakarta
POI".
So why should a developer come to your session Jeremy?

Jeremy Lund: Let's face it, Microsoft Office files are a part of
business life. People send e-mail spreadsheets and documents around the
office. When they get done passing it around, they want the content
posted on a website or loaded into a database. Other times, they want
data exported into a spreadsheet or document from a website. The Apache
Jakarta POI project provides a native Java layer for reading and writing
Microsoft Office files.

MS: What does POI stand for and why do you like it?

JL: POI stands for "Poor Obfuscation Implementation". I like it because
it gives me control of the content in ways that other methods do not.

MS: What other methods are you talking about?

JL: For instance, one way to provide a client with a
data-driven spreadsheet is to output the content as a tab-delimted file
and change the mime-type to application/vnd.ms-excel. But, this
doesn't allow me to change how the data is styled.

MS: For styling the content, couldn't you simply use the
new cfreport feature available in ColdFusion 7?

JL: Yes, that's also a possibility, provided that you are on
ColdFusion 7. For those who are not on ColdFusion 7, POI can help. But,
remember that cfreport is only for output. We may also want to read
content out of spreadsheets and documents.

MS: Oh, I have used COM before to do this. Its interface
allows me to communicate with the Office automation API. All I have to
do is to use cfobject to get a link and I am good to go. Why not use
COM?

JL: I, too, have used cfobject to interface with Office via
COM. In my experience of using COM with ColdFusion, it is slow, and
doesn't scale well for larger applications. Additionally, it also
requires that you have access to a Microsoft Office installation on the
server, and that you on running on a Windows server. POI is fast, scales
well, and can be used on operating systems besides Windows.

MS: How do I get run POI on my ColdFusion server?

JL: If you are on ColdFusion 7, and only want to work with
Excel spreadsheets, then you're in luck! The necessary Jar files are
already installed. If you are on an older version of ColdFusion, then
you have to install them yourself. But, it's not hard, and I'll go
over it in my session.

MS: And where can I download them from?

JL: The library can be downloaded from the Apache Jakarta POI site at
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/.

MS: What about working with Word or PowerPoint?

JL: While the Excel interface is quite mature, the Word and PowerPoint
interfaces are still being developed, and exist in the "scratchpad"
portion of the POI libraries. While I haven't had a need to use the
PowerPoint interface just yet, I have used the Word interface and found
it to work well for my needs.

MS: BTW how much does POI cost?

JL: POI is free, and is open source.

MS: Cool! Many of us, including me, do not have a lot of time to
learn a huge, complicated API. How hard is it to come up to speed with
POI?

JL: It depends on how familiar with Java, but by using some of
the quick start guides available on the net along with the Javadocs, it
is easy to to get started with POI. Of course, by attending my session
at conference you should be ready to use POI even quicker!

MS: It sounds like POI could help me with some of my
development projects. I look forward to seeing your session.

CFUNITED-06 is Wed 6/28/06 - Sat 7/1/06 in Bethesda MD, just outside
Washington DC. For more information on CFUNITED see
http://www.cfunited.com/

---
Another Look at Microsoft Office  Using Apache Jakarta POI
*************************
Has a client sent you a Word document, wanting the content added to
their website right away?  And of course, they want the content to fit
in flawlessly with the rest of the website.
What about that excel spreadsheet data that they want imported into
their database?
Or, what about that nice table report that it sure would be nice to
have as an Excel spreadsheet?

In this presentation, I will look at the Word and Excel options that
Apache Jakarta POI project offers in working with Word and Excel
documents, and present code examples and use cases where POI is a good
choice.  If you have ever found COM too slow to work with in ColdFusion,
or the conversion facilities of Word of Excel too limiting for your
needs, then Jakarta POI just might be the answer!

Speaker Bio:
Jeremy Lund is the manager of the Web Resource Center at University
Health Care in Salt Lake City, Utah (http://uuhsc.utah.edu/wrc/). As the
manager he coordinates development efforts, designs their web
architecture, and in what time is left, develops web applications. He
has worked with Internet technologies for over seven years, and enjoys
working not only with ColdFusion, Java, and Perl, but also is an
advocate of using XHTML and CSS. Jeremy received a bachelor's degree
in computer engineering from the University of Utah, and is a Sun
Certified Programmer for the Java 2 platform.

* Speakers include top names like Simon Horwith, Charlie Arehart,
  Hal Helms, Michael Dinowitz, Ray Camden, Ben Forta and many more respected
  CF authors and presenters.

* Great tracks:
   * Bootcamp - Basic ColdFusion and Flash topics
   * Advanced - Advanced ColdFusion topics
   * Manager/Empowered - Fusebox and Project management topics
   * Flex/RIA - Flash, Flex and other technologies integrated with CF topics
   * Accessibility / usability - section 508, CSS and disabled access
   * Deployment/Platform - tuning, install issues, OS, picking a database

* Included in your full conference registration is the following:

     * Attendence for 4 days (6/28/2006-7/1/2006)
     * Keynote and General Sessions
     * All conference sessions including repeat sessions on Saturday
     * Entrance to Expo Area
     * Networking Events
     * Badge and Badge holder with bar scan code
     * Free Lunch for each show day (Dinner is not included)
     * Access to all presentations after the event, including all the
recordings.
     * Promotional bag with materials including show guide, CD, coupons,
etc.
     * Opportunity to participate in all raffle drawings

* Can't stay 4 days Wed - Sat? Optional 3-day and Saturday only packages
   available too. Saturday will consist of repeats the most popular
sessions
   from the week - something many attendees asked for last year!

* The price is $849 for all four days of CFUNITED-06

Price expires            4-day   3-day   Saturday-only
Early Bird   01/31/2006  $649    $549    $249
Timely Bird  03/31/2006  $749    $649    $299
Regular      06/16/2006  $849    $749    $349
Late         06/28/2006  $949    $849    $399
Door         06/29/2006  $1049   $949    $449

Be one of the first 850 registrations and you will get the Awesome
Laptop Bookbag instead of the
average tote.

Register today at
    http://www.cfunited.com/

--
Michael Smith, TeraTech Inc - Tools for Programmers(tm)
TeraTech voted Best Consulting Service by CFDJ readers!