For other db servers, this may not be the case, but for SQL Server, ODBC is
the fastest method for accessing your data.

Here are some reasons, directly from MS, for using ODBC:

-- While many database vendors support ODBC by using a mapping layer on top
of their proprietary interface, this is not true for Microsoft SQL Server.
For SQL Server, ODBC are "native" interfaces for SQL Server. (In fact, all
current SQL Server TPC-C benchmarks are published using the ODBC interface,
which is strong evidence of the performance of SQL Server's ODBC
implementation.)
( http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/designeff_choose.htm )

--The ODBC driver uses the performance features of SQL Server
automatically. For example, SQL Server stored procedures can be executed
using an efficient procedure call network format. DB-Library uses a
separate set of APIs to send requests in the network format. ODBC uses the
same APIs used for sending nonstored procedure requests and looks for the
standard ODBC "call" syntax to trigger the use of this efficient network
format.
( http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/designeff_choose.htm )

-- Microsoft did a sample application for a PC Week benchmark Web
 application (Nile.com) which put their DNA architecture up against other
 vendors for a scalability test.  The application's data was held in SQL
Server™ 7.0 and accessed through the ODBC API.
( http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/backgrnd/html/nilewp.htm )

Chris