I really doubt that your solution can outperform the DBA vendors.  There's a
lot of engineering that goes into those solutions, and it's usually not
something that one man can develop.

Even if your solution performs better for small datasets, can it handle
working with large ones?  Can your solution efficiently return a result for
a data search in a 1gb table?  10gb?  100gb?

Granted web applications tend to deal with smaller data tables, but I doubt
that your solution would outperform SQL 2005 express even on a moderate size
table (1 mil records, 1gb).

Russ