I read the documentation that is confusing you.

Returns: An empty XML document object.

IsStruct will be no because if you use cfdump for the varaible, it returns
an XML object and not a struct.

The phrase that I see that you are referring to:
Usage: An XML document object is represented in ColdFusion as a structure.

Well, this statement may just be an incorrect way of stating the data type.
The examples that they use is very much Structure related:

MyDoc.xmlRoot.XmlAttributes["Version"] = "12b";

This is indeed a structure notation to get the "Version" item from the
xmlRoot collection.  The XMLAttributes portion of the XML Element is of type
struct.

XML Children for a given element is stored as an array.

Where you test isStruct is really the issue.

Teddy